Defining Industrial Requirements for Biomass Handling & Conveying
The biomass industry is growing rapidly as power generators respond to government-subsidised schemes to reduce the UK's carbon footprint. Biomass feedstocks range from wood chips and wood pellets to industrial waste from, for example, the paper and pulp, sewage handling and oilseed processing industries. This creates diverse requirements for biomass handing systems and conveyors.
Designs are shaped by the need to handle materials that have:
- Poorly defined flow characteristics
- A high degree of variability. Composition and moisture content are often ill-defined and microbial degradation can significantly impact behaviour
Consistent and reliable flow is essential, especially in the power generation industries, despite the variability of the feed.
Biomass Handling Conveyors from Guttridge
Many biomass handling and conveying applications are breaking new ground in terms of conveyor specification. These arise from the need for solutions that combine:
- High throughput
- The highest levels of reliability
- Consistent delivery, despite material variability
Here Guttridge brings the depth and breadth of experience that ensures a "right first time" solution, even for demanding and novel applications. The company provides solutions from simple, standalone machines for small CHP units to fully integrated, purpose-built plant for large-scale power generation, delivered in partnership with contractors and project engineering companies.
Certain machines from Guttridge are especially valued for biomass applications. These include:
- Guttridge range conveyors, dischargers and elevators
- Bespoke solutions from the Custom HD range conveyors, dischargers and elevators
ATEX zoned equipment is offered where necessary and bespoke solutions are routinely delivered.